The Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, commonly referred to as the “Western Dominican Province,” was founded in 1850 during the California Gold Rush.
From the very beginning, the territory of the Western Dominican Province has been a place in great need of evangelization and missionary activity. Our original purpose was to bring the Catholic faith to a rapidly growing population in the Western United States. While the population continues to grow, our challenge today is a bit different. With secularism, atheism, and religious apathy on the rise, particularly on the west coast, the need for Dominican preachers is greater than ever.
Today the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus continues to be at the forefront of teaching and preaching for the salvation of souls. We serve in parishes and campus ministries, international missions, special ministries for evangelization, prayer, education, and service to the poor and sick; as well as at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, which trains the future leaders of our Church and world. There are currently 140 friars in the Province, preaching the Gospel in virtually every major city across the Western United States – from Anchorage, Alaska to Los Angeles, California to Salt Lake City, Utah.
Suggested Reading —
Mission West: The Western Dominican Province (1850-1966) by Fr. Fabian Stan Parmisano, O.P.
Download the first chapter of our province’s history by clicking: Mission West – Chapter 1