Give Securities (stock)
Giving securities is a wonderful gift that can offer you some unique tax advantages, such as avoiding capital gains tax on appreciated stock.
Making a gift of publicly traded stock to the Western Dominican Province (Province of the Holy Name, Inc.), is straightforward. Simply:
1. Contact your broker and authorize them to transfer (not sell) the particular stock and number of shares you’d like to the Western Dominican Province.
2. Please also provide your broker with our broker’s contact information (below).
Mr. Gregory de Surville
101 California St.
San Francisco, CA 94111
415-693-6027 or Greg.Desurville@morganstanley.com
3. Your broker will then contact our broker to acquire our account number and transfer information.
4. Your broker will transfer the shares you’ve authorized to our brokerage account.
5. Please notify the Development Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-732-7343 that a transfer has been requested. Please indicate the type and number of shares being transferred. This will help prevent gifts from going unidentified, and allow us to better steward the process. Please also indicate if the gift has any designations.
6. You’ll be notified and thanked when the gift has been received by our office.
If you are transferring stock from a joint account, both account owners may need to authorize the transfer. You can contribute stock from several companies held within the same account.
Please check with your broker soon after authorizing the transfer to ensure that the transfer is complete, especially if you initiate this gift shortly before December 31.
Keep in mind, transfers of securities can sometimes take multiple days. It is recommended you initiate transfers well before any important tax dates, such as December 31.
Questions? Contact the Development Office at email@example.com or 206-732-7343. We’re happy to help you!
Note: it is the general policy of the Western Dominican Province to sell donated stock upon receipt, then direct the proceeds as you’ve designated.
Give Real Estate
Giving real estate can offer significant tax benefits. You can even continue to use donated land while you’re still living.
For more information on how to give real estate, please visit the Planned Giving page.
Note: before making a gift of real estate, please contact the Development Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-732-7343. Unfortunately, not all property can be accepted.
Make an In-Kind Gift
Gifts-in-kind are appreciated, and can supply the province with important equipment, tools, supplies, and valuables, such as computers, cameras, art or books, quality vehicles, and other materials helpful to our mission of preaching.
As we are unable to accept all items, please contact the Development Office at email@example.com or (206) 732-7343 to inquire about the options available to you.
Basic Acceptance Policy
All gifts-in-kind are reviewed, accepted and officially acknowledged. Prior to acceptance, the gift is reviewed to see if it meets province needs. The Province of the Most Holy Name reserves the right to decline any gift that does not further the province’s goals or may involve special maintenance or other conditions the province would be unable to satisfy. The donor is responsible for making arrangements to deliver the gift. Additional approvals may be required for works of art.
The province does not provide gift valuation. In accordance with Internal Revenue Service regulations, the donor is responsible for determining the value of an accepted gift. If the estimated value of the gift exceeds $5,000, then a qualified appraisal is required by the IRS to substantiate a donor’s charitable deduction for gifts-in-kind. Province employees and volunteers are not qualified appraisers, and federal regulations do not permit the province to give appraisals or estimates of value.
For taxation details, see IRS Publication 526.